Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Buying Broken & Repaired Things

No matter how carefully I inspect glass or porcelain at a sale, the moment I get home I realized it's chipped and flaked. Most of the time, this damaged stuff goes right in the trash or recycling. But sometimes, I think pieces that have been badly damaged and then repaired, show that the item was of significance to its owner: it gets my attention. Sometimes, it's a clue to value.

I have a really hard time picking old brass candlesticks. So much is made in India these days, and when covered in wax, sometimes it's just really hard to tell. I bought these simply because of the old repair on the bottom. To me, it meant these were important to their owner when the break occurred. Even with the questioning phrase "Antique?" in the title, someone agreed with me and they went for $105 on eBay.
This interesting pottery vase has a great Modernist design, and an intriguing signature on the bottom. The break is horrible and messy, but it's a nice piece for art pottery, probably circa 1940s or 50s. If it's valuable, the break could be repaired. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to figure out who made it, so it will sit on my shelf and collect dust for a while longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment