Thursday, July 12, 2012

16mm films - Cutting edge technology

What do you do with a pile of vintage 16mm films when the one on top is titled Communicable Diseases? As you load them into your car, you think, "What the heck am I doing??!?! I'll never get my money back on these!!!"
I bought a pile of films from a local school that was clearing out its inventory from a (quaint) class in actual film filmmaking. The price was right at about a buck a film, I was playing the odds that something in the lot has NOT been converted to DVD and was reasonably interesting.
Two boxes sat in my basement for 6 months before I got around to researching them. I was rewarded with a collection of assorted 1960s experimental films, like 21-87 by Arthur Lipsett, which had a profound influence on director George Lucas and inspired his notion of The Force in the Star Wars movies. This one went for $365 on eBay. Also in the lot were 1970s reprints of the earliest films by people like Edwin S. Porter, Ferdinand Zecca, and Emile Cohl. I've earned about $1500 on this fantastic lot so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment