Friday, January 4, 2013

Researching Antique Photos - Rouen, France Mystery Church




I found these two antique photos in a circa 1920s album (top left). They were both marked "Rouen Cathedral." Now, it might have fooled Aunt Maude flipping through it 90 years ago, but looking closely these are clearly NOT the same church.

While researching to keyword Rouen Cathedral (the one on the left), I came across this image (center) from here which showed me the mystery church was within sight of the Rouen Cathedral. That's a big clue.

Using the satellite images at Google maps, I went looking for that large round courtyard in the vicinity of Rouen Cathedral. I found it after a few minutes. My mystery church is the Church of St. Ouen (top right). It is very satisfying to discover the solution to a historic puzzle like this.

The album also contained this image (left) of the Church of St. Vincent, which was destroyed in 1944 by German bombs in World War II. All that remains now is a stone arch in the town.

No comments:

Post a Comment